Use secure networks, such as your cellular carrier network, MWireless, or wired connections.
Expand All Content
Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN) when using WiFi
Install and use the appropriate Virtual Private Network (VPN) client for your campus. When you use a U-M VPN, you are using a University of Michigan network from wherever you are; this allows you to access U-M resources that require you to be connecting from a U-M network.
- U-M VPN. Available to all U-M students, faculty, staff, and sponsored affiliates, as well as alumni and retirees.
- MiWorkspace Users: If you have a MiWorkspace Windows laptop, you should not need to use the VPN as it will be set up to automatically securely connect. A MiWorkspace Mac laptop will need to use the VPN.
- UMHS Cisco AnyConnect VPN. Allows members of the Michigan Medicine community to access Protected Health Information (PHI), Clinical Network and Applications, Schedulon, and Printing, as well as to access file servers and internal Michigan Medicine web content. For more information, installers, and instructions, see VPN - Cisco AnyConnect SSL Client.
- UM-Dearborn VPN. For students, faculty, staff, and sponsored guests on the Dearborn campus, UM-Dearborn ITS provides VPN and other networking services.
- UM-Flint VPN. For use by students, faculty, and staff on the Flint campus.
Your home network
Follow the instructions from your provider to secure your home network. Use a wired connection to it when practical. Use a VPN when accessing sensitive university data.