The Information Assurance (IA) Office:
- Directs IT security, policy, compliance, privacy, enterprise continuity, and identity and access management (IAM) strategy across the entire university.
- Proactively mitigates IT security risks in partnership with U-M's campuses—UM-Ann Arbor, UM-Dearborn, UM-Flint, and Michigan Medicine.
- Collaborates with U-M units to:
- Develop university IT security, privacy, and IAM strategy.
- Implement best practice security, privacy, and IAM infrastructure and protocols.
- Takes a risk-based approach to securing the university’s most sensitive information assets that enables teaching, learning, research, and healthcare in a large open environment.
- Provides operational information assurance and IAM services that enable the university to excel in its research, teaching, and patient care missions
- Provides guidance to the entire university community on IT security and privacy compliance best practices to help individuals protect university systems and data, as well as their own personal information.
Information assurance is a shared responsibility, and every member of the U-M community has an important role to play. IA staff members work with Security Unit Liaisons (SULs) across the university to coordinate and leverage university information assurance activities to meet unit requirements and support unit missions. For information about IA leaders and their roles, see Information Assurance Leadership Staff.
Contact IA through the ITS Service Center.