Your passwords are keys to your data. Protect your data by protecting your passwords.
Expand All Content
Your UMICH (Level-1) Password
We recommend that you change your UMICH password every six months. An easy way to remember this is to change your password when you change your clocks for Daylight Saving Time (DST). See the Password Security Checklist for more information.
Some ways to keep track of multiple passwords:
- Memorize them all. Some people with good memories can create multiple passwords with a single theme or follow some other strategy that helps them remember all their passwords.
- Write them down and store them in a secure place. Do not leave them where others can see them or find them. Keep them locked up if at all possible. Store them as you would any other valuable item. Do not store them in a document on your computer unless you have encrypted the file.
- Use password management software. Password management software lets you store multiple passwords in encrypted form so you don't have to remember them. You can access all your passwords using one master password.
- The Best Password Managers for 2015 (PC Magazine, 10/5/2015)
- Review: The Best Password Managers for PCs, Macs, and Mobile Devices (InfoWorld, 6/17/2015)