The ITS User Advocate works with the University of Michigan community to ensure that U-M information technology policies and guidelines are followed, and to respond to computer abuse and misuse of U-M electronic resources.
The User Advocate enforces compliance through a variety of means, including temporary denial of service or filing a formal complaint about a student with the Office of Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR).
Specifically, the User Advocate:
- Receives and investigate reports of U-M technology and information policy violations as they pertain to U-M-provided resources
- Coordinates problem-solving with other information technology service providers and campus units—including Student Life and the Department of Public Safety and Security (DPSS)
- Provides IT policy interpretation and information to help students, faculty, and staff understand university and departmental policy, including the responsible use of shared resources
- Engages in outreach activities, including general community education and awareness
- Threatening or harassing email
- In an emergency, call the Department of Public Safety at 911 or 763-1131
- If contacting the User Advocate, include full headers when forwarding the email
- Spam that appears to originate from within the university
- We cannot help with spam that comes from non-U-M addresses
- When forwarding U-M spam to the User Advocate, be sure to include full headers
- Digital copyright infringement
- Promotion of a commercial enterprise when the sender's email address ends in @umich.edu
- Other violations of responsible use of U-M information technology resources
- In Gmail, click the down arrow next to Reply and select Show original on the message you would like to report.
- Using your browser's menu, save the page as a .txt file.
- Compose a new message, attach the file you have created, and send the new message and attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org.