If you use a personally-owned computer for U-M work, or you manage a university-owned computer, then you are responsible for properly securing it in accordance with university policy (see below).
Your computer may contain personal and private information - notes, photos, contacts, documents, saved passwords, and more. You may work with sensitive university data identified as Restricted, High, or Moderate on your computer.
Note: All devices connecting to the UMHS-8021X wireless network must be CoreImage or enrolled in Intelligent Hub. MWireless is available for WiFi, but with no access to Michigan Medicine resources.
Instructions for Your Operating System
General Best Practices
- Back up your data. Hard drives wear out. Devices can be lost or stolen. The university offers several file storage options (both free and fee-based) that you can use. Check the Sensitive Data Guide to see which services are appropriate for certain types of sensitive institutional data. U-M data must be backed up to a U-M device or service.
- Choose web browser security settings that protect your privacy and enhance security.
- Put a sticker on your computer with your name and contact information so somebody who finds your lost computer can reach you.
- Register your devices. The U-M Police Department offers a free laptop and personal electronics registration program to members of the U-M community.
- Travel safely with technology. Protect your privacy and the university's sensitive data when you're away from home.
- Use Anti-Virus software. Follow the guidance for Anti-virus for Personal Computers to protect a personally-owned computer.
Applicable University Policies
You are responsible for complying with the policies and standards below. The requirements on this page help you meet that responsibility.
- Responsible Use of Information Resources (SPG 601.07)
- Security of Personally Owned Devices that Access or Maintain Sensitive Institutional Data (SPG 601.33)
- Unit-Specific Requirements for Self-Management of Personally Owned Devices that Access Sensitive Institutional Data (DS-07)
- Tech Tools: Cell Phones and Portable Electronic Resources (SPG 514.04)