Protecting U-M's data, and the systems that store and handle it, is a shared responsibility. Information Assurance (IA) provides and recommends many resources to help U-M IT professionals educate themselves and the community around them. All members of the U-M community can participate in reducing risks and increasing the security of the university's sensitive data through awareness, training, and education.
- IA Publications that help inform, raise awareness, and report on IT security and privacy.
- IT Security Posters & Brochures. A set of handy posters & brochures to help educate your colleagues, friends, and others about key security issues. Digital sign versions of most of the posters are available to the U-M community in a Box at U-M folder: Safe Computing - Security Tips (Digital Signs).
- Events related to cybersecurity and privacy sponsored by IA and the U-M community.
- Tips & Videos for faculty, staff, and students, with recommendations on how to protect devices, privacy, and data.
- Be Aware of the most common IT security threats.
Cyber Security Basics
- Look Before You Click. Beware of Phishing! (in My LINC) Learn about the practice of phishing, including spear phishing. Recognize clues that reveal phishing emails, inspect links in suspicious emails, identify what to do if you are not sure about an email, and take corrective steps if you take the bait.
- Don't Fall for Phish! Test your phish detection skills in this U-M online training. You will review email messages and decide which are phishing scams and which are legitimate messages. You'll also get to review the clues that indicate phishiness.
- Using Your Devices Securely with U-M Data. Learn how to set up your device and manage U-M data at home and abroad.
- Copyright Compliance Quiz. Test your knowledge of what music, movies, books, and more you can and cannot share from you computer and mobile devices.
Training Required for Data Access
- DCE 101: Access and Compliance: Handling Sensitive Institutional Data at U-M (in My LINC). Required training for access to administrative and other systems.
- ITSE101: HIPAA and Protected Health Information: What ITS Staff Need to Know (in My LINC). Required training for Information and Technology Services (ITS) staff and some others who may have access to systems containing HIPAA data.
- ITSE102: Payment Card Industry Security Standards and ITS (in My LINC). Required training for staff who may have access to systems containing PCI data.
- ITSE202: Advanced PCI Training (in My LINC). Required training for staff with access to systems containing PCI data.