Dedoose is "a cross-platform app for analyzing qualitative and mixed methods research with text, photos, audio, videos, spreadsheet data and more.” Many qualitative researchers at U-M are interested in using Dedoose to code and analyze their data. It offers an easy team-based approach to large projects and is intuitive to use. Use of Dedoose requires a monthly subscription fee. For help negotiating a subscription, contact Information Technology Asset Management (UmichITAM) (U-M login required) by sending email to UmichITAM-Help@umich.edu.
Dedoose has the following features in place to protect the research being conducted within it:
- Encryption, including project-specific encryption while at rest and when moving between their servers and your computer.
- Password protection.
- Export your data at any time for local storage.
- Nightly backups.
- No metadata about tenant data usage is collected.
- You will be notified if there is a privacy breach.
- Disclosure of personally identifiable information about users or information about your project to third parties in limited circumstances: (1) with your consent; or (2) when Dedoose has a good faith belief it is required by law, such as pursuant to a subpoena or other governmental, judicial, or administrative order.
- Data is retained for two years after the expiration of all user logins on a project. However, upon specific written request from the project administrator, Dedoose will permanently delete all project data before the two-year period.
- Dedoose Data Center follows SAS 70 Type II and HIPAA compliance requirements. Note that data center HIPAA compliance does not reflect all HIPAA compliance requirements.
The university does not have a business associate agreement in place with Dedoose, so it cannot be used for protected health information (HIPAA). Dedoose can be used for data classified as Moderate or Low, as well as these types of data classified as High: sensitive identifiable human subject research, SSNs, IT security information.
Information Technology Asset Management (UmichITAM) (U-M log in required)