Use a Secure Internet Connection
Use secure networks, such as your cellular carrier network, MWireless, or wired connections.
- Wired connections to the Internet from on-campus computers, including Campus Computing Site computers, benefit from the university's secured networks.
- MWireless is the most secure Wi-Fi network and should be used by all of the U-M community. Before using the service, you will need to configure settings on your Wi-Fi device. See Connecting to MWireless and UM Wireless Network.
- Your cellular carrier network is the best choice for a secure connection.
- Install and use the appropriate Virtual Private Network (VPN) client for your campus. This provides you with a secure computing experience when using a wireless connection. When you use a U-M VPN, you are using a University of Michigan network from wherever you are; this allows you to access U-M resources that require you to be connecting from a U-M network.
- U-M VPN. Available to all U-M students, faculty, staff, and sponsored affiliates.
- MiWorkspace Users: If you have a MiWorkspace Windows laptop, you should not need to use the VPN as it will be set up to automatically securely connect. A MiWorkspace Mac laptop will need to use the VPN.
- U-M Health System (UMHS) Cisco AnyConnect VPN. Allows members of the UMHS community to access Protected Health Information (PHI), Clinical Network and Applications, Schedulon, and Printing, as well as to access file servers and internal UMHS web content. For more information, installers, and instructions, see VPN - Cisco AnyConnect SSL Client in the UMHS KnowledgeBase.
- UM-Dearborn VPN. For students, faculty, staff, and sponsored guests on the Dearborn campus.
- UM-Flint VPN. For use by students, faculty, and staff on the Flint campus.
- Secure Your Home Wireless Network. Resources to help you create and give a security key to both your router and computer so they can transfer data confidentially.