ITS User Advocate
The ITS User Advocate works with the University of Michigan community to ensure that U-M information technology policies and guidelines are followed, and to respond to computer abuse and misuse of U-M electronic resources.
The User Advocate enforces compliance through a variety of means, including temporary denial of service or filing a formal complaint about a student with the Office of Student Conflict Resolution (OSCR).
Specifically, the User Advocate
- Receives and investigate reports of U-M technology and information policy violations as they pertain to U-M-provided resources
- Coordinates problem-solving with other information technology service providers and campus units - including Student Life and the Department of Public Safety and Security (DPSS)
- Provides IT policy interpretation and information to help students, faculty, and staff understand university and departmental policy, including the responsible use of shared resources
- Engages in outreach activities, including general community education and awareness
Contact the ITS User Advocate
Contact the User Advocate at email@example.com if you become aware of or suspect an abuse of U-M information technology policies, including:
- Threatening or harassing electronic messages (in an emergency, contact the Department of Public Safety at 911 or 763-1131); include full headers when forwarding a potentially problematic e-mail to the User Advocate
- Spam that originates from or appears to originate from within the university (do not send spam from external origination); include full headers when forwarding a potentially problematic e-mail to the User Advocate
- Digital copyright infringement
- Promotion of a commercial enterprise when the sender's e-mail address ends in @umich.edu
- Other violations of appropriate use of U-M information technology resources