Personal Device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.)
Description of Service:
Any mobile phone, tablet, laptop, or other computing device that you own or use that is not owned by the university.
Description of Compliance:
Personally owned devices typically should not be used to maintain or share the university’s sensitive data. In some cases, instructors may need to make use of Student Educational Records (protected by FERPA) on their personal devices in the course of their teaching. This may be done if the device is appropriately secured.
It is recommended that you secure your personal devices to protect both the university's data and your own.
The U-M Safe Computing website provides tips for securing your personal devices:
Key: Storage Permission Levels
Permitted with IIA Consultation
For IIA consultation, please contact the ITS Service Center
Using Personal Device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) with Data
Personal Device (phone, tablet, laptop, etc.) has the following Sensitive Data restrictions....
- Credit Card or Payment Card Industry (PCI) Information
- Export Controlled Research (ITAR or EAR)
- Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) Data
- IT Security Information
- Private Personal Information (PPI)
- Protected Health Information (HIPAA)
- Sensitive Identifiable Human Subject Research
- Social Security Numbers
- Student Loan Application Information (GLBA)