Box at U-M Core Apps
Description of Service:
Box at U-M is a cloud-based storage solution that allows you to share files with people inside and outside of the university. There are many apps that can be used within Box. U-M users can use any of those apps, but only the Box at U-M Core Apps (Official Box Apps) have been tested and approved by U-M.
Description of Compliance:
Box at U-M is a contracted-for service obtained through a partnership with a consortium of higher education institutions. The agreement includes non-disclosure agreements (NDA) and security provisions. Box at U-M Core Apps (Official Box Apps) provide a secure environment in which to maintain or share the university's sensitive unregulated data, as well as some kinds of sensitive regulated data. See Using Box at U-M Securely with Sensitive Data for minimum requirements when using M+Box for sensitive university data.
Social Security numbers should only be used where required by law or where they are essential for university business processes. If you must use SSNs, it is preferred that you use institutional resources designed to house this data, such as the Data Warehouse. IIA can help you explore appropriate storage locations or work with you to appropriately encrypt the data if those alternatives will not work for you. (Contact IIA via the ITS Service Center.)
U-M's agreement with Box for Box at U-M Core Apps includes a Business Associate Agreement. This means individuals may use this service to maintain Protected Health Information (PHI) regulated by HIPAA. Complying with HIPAA's requirements is a shared responsibility. Users sharing and storing PHI in M+Box are responsible for complying with HIPAA safeguards, including:
- Using and disclosing only the minimum necessary PHI for the intended purpose.
- Obtaining all required authorizations for using and disclosing PHI.
- Ensuring that PHI is seen only by those who are authorized to see it.
- Obtaining all necessary data-sharing agreements and Business Associate Agreements for using and disclosing PHI.
- Following any additional steps required by your unit to comply with HIPAA.
It is highly recommended that you use a shared Box at U-M account that has been set up for sensitive data, and put sensitive data only in the shared account folders set up specifically for that purpose. (See Shared Box at U-M Accounts for how to request and use a shared account.)
Box at U-M may not be used for Export Controlled Research because Box cannot ensure that only U.S. persons have access to or maintain their systems.
Key: Storage Permission Levels
Permitted with IIA Consultation
For IIA consultation, please contact the ITS Service Center
Using Box at U-M Core Apps with Data
Box at U-M Core Apps has the following Sensitive Data restrictions....
- Attorney/Client Privileged Information
- IT Security Information
- Other Sensitive Institutional Data
- Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
- Protected Health Information (HIPAA)
- Sensitive Identifiable Human Subject Research
- Student Education Records (FERPA)
- Student Loan Application Information (GLBA)