Disclaimer: if it’s possible, avoid using mobile devices to store sensitive data.
Each project has unique parameters; however there are common best practices that are critical to every situation where laptops will be used:
- Keep software up-to-date
- Use a host-based firewall
- Install anti-virus software
- Use a strong password: more than eight characters, with a combination of upper- and lower-case letters, symbols and numerals.
- Disable your wireless Internet connection when not in use. To disable it:
- Right click on the wireless icon on your system tray.
- Select disable. A red X will appear over the icon.
- Newer computers have mechanical switches to allow you to turn off wireless. Not only does this stop unauthorized access, but saves battery power as well.